Welcome to our first Foodie Fridays! Every week we will be providing you with recipes and game ideas fitting for you and all of the family. Well done you have made it! There may have been a few tears along the way but finally the weekend is just hours away, you have survived your first week of lockdown home schooling (again) and you can finally have some quality family time.
What you’ll need:
1 medium banana
1 medium egg
25g/ ¼ cup oats
1. First mash the banana in the bowl and then mix in the egg.
2. Add in the oats and mix them in too.
3. Heat a little oil or butter in a large frying pan and then add the pancake mixture. Use 1.5 tbsp of the mixture to make one pancake and you will be able to make 5 pancakes in total.
4. Fry for two minutes on either side until it is golden brown
How to make it your own -
You can add:
Sweetcorn and Spinach Fritters
(makes up to 12 fritters)
· 1 x small 195g can of no-salt sweetcorn, drained
· small handful of baby spinach leaf
· 1 small garlic clove (crushed)
· 1 spring onion (chopped)
· 50g plain flour
· ½ tsp of baking powder
· 1 egg
· 1 tsp of rapeseed oil
1. Pulse all the ingredients except the oil in a food processor until fairly but not completely smooth. (if you do not have a food processor you can use a small blender, or you can chop and mix the ingredients up finely for the best results)
2. Heat a little oil in a frying pan until hot and dollop four spoonsful of the mixture into the pan leaving space around them. fry for just under 1 min on each side until lightly golden. when you flip the fritter, flatten with a spatula to ensure even cooking the whole way through. cook in three batches, placing the cooked fritters on a plate covered with kitchen roll. Serve warm.
Freezing and Storage
You can freeze any fritters you do not need. these can be transferred into a freezer bag. Reheat the frozen fritters in the oven (180c/160fan/gas mark 4) for around 10 minutes until piping hot. allow to cool to lukewarm before serving
Chicken and Veg Pasta Bake
What you’ll need:
· Pasta (fusilli or penne)
· 1 large Chicken Breast
· Salt/ Pepper/ Seasonings of your choice
· Mixed vegetables (frozen are great to use)
· 1 jar tomato-based pasta sauce
· Grated cheese
1. Lightly season the chopped chicken breast with salt/pepper and other seasonings. Set this aside to marinate.
2. Heat a small amount of oil in a pan. Fry the onions, peppers and mixed vegetables for 1-2 minutes until soft.
3. Add the marinated chicken breast and continue to fry until golden brown for 5-6 minutes
4. When the chicken is cooked, add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
5. Transfer the ingredients into an oven proof dish and top with grated cheese.
6. Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees, Gas Mark 4/5
How to keep everyone entertained over the weekend
Another lockdown weekend is here but it doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom here are a list of activities you can all participate in.
Go for a walk
You can go for a walk around your local area (wrap up warm & don’t forget your masks!) To make the walk more interesting why don’t you add in some crazy things for your child/ren to do; every time you see a set of traffic light’s they must jump on the spot 10 times, hop forward 5 steps and do a star jump.
Create a tally chart of different colour cars and ask your child/ren to tick what colour cars they see whilst out on the walk.
If its been raining – grab your wellies and have some fun in the puddles! It is impossible to not have fun whilst jumping the in puddles!
I know the outdoors isn’t for everyone, so if your someone who enjoys warm activities here are a few things you can do.
The Hot and Cold Game
Pick an object, hide it somewhere around the house and the other person must search for it when they are close to the object you yell ‘hot’ and if they are far away from it you yell ‘cold’. This is a fun activity which can last a few hours once you’ve had a few turns.
A classic but never gets old! You need a minimum of two players and the players should be old enough to play when they have an understanding of everything around them and can name all objects in a room.
The person who is the spy selects an object but does not reveal this, the other players must guess what the object is based on the clue provided by the spy - ‘I spy with my little eye, something beginning with B’
What we’ve all been asked to do is hard, its challenging and can be extremely stressful but you are doing amazing! Do not be too hard on yourself, make sure you take some time out for yourself, having a nice relaxing bath with calming music on always helps me. Re-charge your batteries, read a book and have a few glasses of wine. Enjoy your weekend x